Friday, January 11, 2013

Float on

A friend of mine, Cameron, served as a Peace Corps volunteer in Tanzania at around the same time I served in Moz. While catching up with a mutual friend of ours yesterday, I was told, "Whenever we stalked your pictures online, we always wondered why it looked like Cameron lived in a third world country but you just looked like you were on vacation!"
Haha well, the other PC programs didn't refer to us as "Beach Corps" for nothing.
And now, I look through the Facebook pictures documenting the glorious beach adventures of my friends still serving in Mozambique, and I get so nostalgic. Some days I'd give anything to be back on the beach, soaking in the heat of Africa instead of stressing about finding a job,
paying for a wedding, making rent this month, studying for the FSOT. America's so fast-paced and as the days fly by, I easily get wrapped up in these concepts of "progress" and "productivity." It's no wonder that despite all the luxuries available to us, we as a nation are still so unhappy.

I've  started eating those giant grocery store bananas again, and buying those tiny, expensive, mushy avocados. I won't even talk about how expensive mangoes are here.
I've started driving again, and going to the gym.
I still don't know any of my next door neighbors.
I guess it's all a part of being American.

I move on to another day, 
to a whole new town with a whole new way
Went to the porch to have a thought,
Got to the door and again, I couldn't stop 
You don't know where and you don't know when, 
But you've still got your words and you got your friends 
Walk along to another day,
Work a little harder, work another way 
Well uh-uh baby I ain't got no plan, 
We'll float on maybe, would you understand? 
Gonna float on maybe, would you understand? 
Well float on maybe, would you understand?


- Modest Mouse, "World At Large" 

0 comments:

Post a Comment