Wednesday, October 17, 2012

New day, new adventure.

So far so good.
Every day is a new adventure.

The grocery store.
I'm overwhelmed the moment I walk in. Too much of everything. Over 10 types of apples, are you kidding me?
The banana bunches freak me out because they're three times the size of the Mozambican bananas I'm used to buying.
I guess it's not acceptable to ask for a bacela when I'm checking out?
Kev and I make a bet at the checkout counter, he says the total is $110, I say it's $130. In the end, it's $110 and I pay for everything. How much produce would I have to buy to spend that much in Mozambique? (I have to stop trying to convert everything to meticais in my head...)
























The bank.
What? Everyone is so nice! The banker shakes my hand, introduces himself, calls me by name, and  is just so helpful. He keeps apologizing for the wait, ha ha. What wait? Twenty minutes later, he has everything taken care of. And then he walks me out and wishes me a nice day.
I'm pretty sure that in Moz, the same bank errands would have taken three hours, which means that I just saved 2.5 hours of my life! Wheee!!! This calls for a celebration, and a Starbucks passion tea lemonade.

Target.
This place is nuts! Just rows and rows of  brightly lit everything. I'm glad I'm with Kevin because he seems to know what we're looking for and where it is; I just follow him and try not to get whiplash from the speed my head is turning as I "apreciar" as much as I can. (Aaaand another $100 dropped here)























The laudromat.
I haven't seen a washing machine in two years. How convenient is just tossing a few quarters into a slot and letting it do all the work for you? I could probably sit in front of the dryer and watch clothes spin for days. 

Foods, foods, foods.
Yeah. Can we talk about spiced salmon tacos, lox and bagel, bacon, brisket and gravy, root beer floats, sushi, bleu cheese burgers, coconut shrimp, peppercorn steak medallions, spinach omelettes, arugula salad, and carne asada burritos? 
Except everything sort of makes my stomach hurts. And I keep forgetting that I'm lactose intolerant until I've already ordered something with tons of cream in it. 
Oh well.
Doesn't. stop. me. 





0 comments:

Post a Comment