Monday, October 22, 2012

Sitting, waiting, wishing

When you live in a third world country, it can be kind of hard to keep up with worldwide happenings - like a U.S. election, for instance. Tonight, faced with the decision to watch the final presidential debate, Monday night football, or the Giants-Cardinals game, I really had the urge to just turn off the TV.
In the end, I sat through the debate but I wasn't impressed with any of it. My vote goes to the moderator Bob Schieffer for not telling them both to shut up. Politics will never change. It will always be divisive, full of lies, he-said-she-said. I'm already tired of it.

I forgot how terrible television is. I sit on the couch and scroll through the channels, and I'm disappointed every time by the crap that Americans watch. There's a show called Cheaters, which is all about people cheating on other people and having huge dramatic confrontations. People care about the strangest things.

Sometimes... I feel like I haven't missed much. Sometimes I wish I were back on my veranda in Mozambique, without the barulho of advertisements, political arguments, sports fanaticism, MTV... just me and my Mozambican dogs, and maybe a mango or two.

0 comments:

Post a Comment