Monday, November 12, 2012

One month

It's been exactly one month since I returned to the United States. Since then, here's what's changed:

- I don't get carsick anymore. Strangely enough, when I first got back I was feeling nauseous in the car ... because the roads were so smooth. I'm not even kidding. Any fast acceleration would leave me feeling sick; I guess I was used to the bumpy roads in Moz.
- Portuguese feels weird on the tongue, now that I am speaking it maybe once a week instead of all day every day. So I've joined a weekly language meetup group, but mainly they speak Brazilian Portuguese and call me out on my Moz accent.
- I don't wake up in the middle of the night and wonder where I am or where my mosquito net is.
- I've eaten about 80% of the things on my "Foods I Want When I Go Home" list.
- Kevin says my butt got bigger...
- ... So I'm working out again.
- All the other 15ers are steadily trickling home! It felt weird being here while they were all still there.
- One of my dogs in Chicumbane passed away. (See previous post)
- I've begun the job search, which may eventually lead me to the East Coast.
- I've started studying for the FSOT in February.
- I have re-learned the concept of personal space as it applies to standing in line.
- Winter in San Diego has arrived, but who are we kidding. 60's and 70's are nothing to complain about.
- I've not only gotten caught up on Facebook, Pinterest, LivingSocial, and Gangnam Style, I am now addicted to my iPhone. And Instagram. Thanks, Kev.
- I was finally approved for LASIK surgery and am getting it done this Friday :)
- I've made further plans to travel. In December, I will be heading to South Korea, Indonesia, and Taiwan to see friends and family.

Here's what hasn't changed:
- The president. (Boy, was I tired of election stuff by the end of it.)
- I still automatically place one hand under my elbow when shaking people's hands, a sign of respect in Moz culture.
- I still, when inebriated, run off into the bushes to tinkle. But at least I don't have the urge to do it when sober. (Anymore.)
- I still constantly marvel at how "expensive" everything is in the States and how easy it is to spend money.
- Grocery stores still intimidate me, with their absurd amount of options for everything.
- I continue to get offended when people don't greet me or acknowledge me when they walk by. Rude.
- I still haven't started driving, which makes living in California a bit inconvenient.
- I still miss Moz every day.


0 comments:

Post a Comment