Thursday, November 1, 2012

Just a matter of time

Time moves differently here. 

I felt it almost the moment I arrived.

Americans live in a monochronic culture, which means that they see time pass linearly, in quadrants that can be organized, quantified, controlled, and scheduled. Monochronic cultures are obsessed with making lists, following schedules, being on time.

But for the past two years I've been living in a polychronic culture, in which time is seen as fluid, infinite, continuous. There's always "more time" to do things. It's not even important to finish one thing before starting another. Relationships are more important than tasks.

I get back to the U.S. and I immediately feel the pressures of time. People run around from appointment to appointment, to and from their structured 9 to 5 jobs. There's no such thing as just sitting outside and visiting with your friends. Most people don't even know their neighbors.

A whole day can go by while I'm sitting in front of the computer, sucked into the internet. I'll make dinner dates and be completely caught off guard when my friends show up on time. I'll step outside and be astounded by the weather. Sometimes when I'm standing in line I'll casually lurk over the person in front of me's shoulder. I still get the urge to just toss my trash on the ground.

But mostly I feel panicked, like I need to jump aboard the train before it takes off without me. Everyone's got "real jobs" and "life goals" ... and all I  really want to do is sit under a mango tree and read a book. But you see, that just wouldn't be "productive," right? Right?

0 comments:

Post a Comment